On March 25, 2020, DBEDT teamed up with community stakeholders, Transform Hawaii Government and the Economic Development Alliance of Hawaii to convene the Broadband Hui as a way to address gaps in broadband access both near term and long term. The Hui has grown in size and is represented by the private sector, non-profits and public sector and meets every Wednesday. Notes from previous meeting are archived here.
Archived Broadband Hui Zoom videos. Please contact Burt Lum for recent archived videos.
- July 15, 2020
- July 8, 2020
- July 1, 2020
- June 24, 2020 (recorded only the last hour due to technical problems)
- June 17, 2020
- June 10, 2020
- May 27, 2020
The following are subgroups that have formed as grassroots efforts to help connect unserved and underserved communities. Each subgroup and related projects are evolving, so please check back for updates.
- Community Networks
- Rural Connectivity
- Hawaiian Telcom built out fiber infrastructure to rural Hawaii with funding from Connect America Funds. Here is a list of locations from their CAF Phase I and CAF Phase II deployment.
- East Maui – Hana
- Hawaiian Electric – Hawaii Island Fiber Gap
- Computer Hardware Refurbishing
- Wifi on Wheels
- Mapping and Data
- Broadband Data (Hawaii Data Collaborative)
- Wifi Hot Spots: Based on data provided to Office of Planning
- RDOF 904 Auction Eligible Areas: Maps of areas eligible for RDOF funds.
- Digital Equity, Literacy and Distance Learning
- Digital Equity presentation by NTIA, Emy Tseng
- Remote work and Telework
- Remote work – 5 Point Plan
- June 16, 2020 – Archived Zoom meeting
- Broadband and Related Policy
- SB 2527 – Relating to Broadband Service Infrastructure
- SR78 – REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AND TOURISM TO WORK IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE LEGISLATURE TO CREATE ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PERMANENT JOBS IN THE STATE BY 2022
- SB126 – Relating to the State Budget, see Parts XV and XVI
Throughout the community, broadband is recognized as critical infrastructure. The following are reports that highlight that importance:
- Kauai Forward: Kūpa‘a Kaua‘i: A Unified Vision for Our Island’s Recovery
- ʻĀina Aloha Economic Futures
- Hawaii Green Growth – Aloha+ Challenge Dashboard